The theatre was partially cleared by Petrie in 1922. It was roughly 400 feet in diameter, and Petrie estimated its seating capacity as over 11,000, which has been used as a factor in estimating the city population, possibly around 30,000 people. Numerous fragments of sculpture and carvings were found among the theatre ruins. A curious feature of the theatre was a spiral staircase of mediaeval castle type at each end of the stage, a feature unparalleled in any other ancient theatre. Photographs in the Ashmolean exhibition illustrate the staircase remains and sculptural fragments.
F.Petrie, Tombs of the Courtiers and Oxyrhynkhos (1925), pl.XXXVIII